Monday, May 31, 2010

rooms on view

This Saturday we went to the Rooms on View decor and design exhibition. I've been looking forward to it for a while. It was smaller and more focused than Grand Designs and not at the Coca Cola Dome which is already a good thing. I took loads of photos even though I apparently wasn't supposed to. I only have good things to say about the show anyway. There were three highlights that I have to mention above all else.

1. The Mzansi Collection stand with beautifully crafted South African products. The project is an initiative of the Department of Trade and Industry and there will be a shop/gallery opening at the Nelson Mandela Square where all products will be available to the public. Nothing was on sale at the actual exhibition and I found it hard to tear myself away from the stand.









2. Welcome Home: a collection of South African products chosen by Source (a super-duper design consultancy) for Boardmans. I can't explain how excited I am about this. Finally a big chain store will hold some quality South African made furniture, ceramics and soft furnishings. The prices might not make it available to everyone but these are far away from cheep Chinese imports we have become accustomed to in our retail stores. The collection will be available at selected Boardmans stores from the beginning on June (tomorrow!). Excitement!







3. The Absolut bar designed by Dokter and Misses. So so beautiful (my pictures don't do it any justice).





I wish I was renovating a new house and I just won lot's of money. I would know exactly where to spend it.

1 comment:

coelho said...

ooooo looked amazing, so many talented sa design things happening