Tuesday, May 18, 2010

mystery art

I bought this drawing on the street in Cape Town a few years ago. It was drawn by a man standing on the side of the road in Gardens with a flip-file full of drawings. I quickly had to choose one because the robot was about to turn green and this is the one I picked. It's drawn with a ball-point pen on a piece of lined A4 paper and coloured in with colouring pencils. If you look closely you will notice some details that I love. An antelope hiding behind a rock, a kid sitting in a blue car with a trailer, three men drinking around a table, and what looks like a female truck driver behind the wheel of a pink flat-bed truck.



I often wonder about the man behind this drawing. Does he really like drawing or is he just trying to make some cash? Did he steal this from his kid's school book? I love how South African this scene is too. It makes me kind of sad and happy at the same time. If you see a man selling drawings somewhere around CT again, let me know. I'd love to talk to him.

2 comments:

alejandra said...

hello, i just wanted to tell you that i really really like your blog, it makes me quite happy, im a fan, i´m from mexico so johanesburg is pretty far and is good to know thigs from far away :)

jelena said...

Gracias Alejandra! It's so nice to know that I have friends so far away.