Tuesday, March 30, 2010

secret johannesburg (part 3)

I've been driving past this house in Houghton for a couple of years now and wondering who owns it, what will happen to it, what's the history behind it. At first I thought it was going to be renovated and that was exciting because most old homes get demolished for giant new monstrosities to be built. Then any kind of activity just stopped and the house is now overgrown with plants and it's windows and doors have been barricaded. There is a beautiful crest above the front entrance with the word 'Athol' which I presume is a family name. If anyone stumbles upon this and has any more information about this house on Houghton Drive, please let me know. Or if you want to buy it for me that would be fine too.













10 comments:

mallix said...

Hi Jelena - more on abandoned houses and places on Flickr, if you like this kind of thing. Would love to have these in the group - if you're on Flickr, that is..

:)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/urbexsa/

And a lot of sites and stuff here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/urbexsa/discuss/72157605711042950/

jelena said...

Hi Malix, I've joined your flickr group (super cool). You are welcome to put my photos up. They are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39561895@N05/?saved=1
Nice to meet you.

mallix said...

:)

mallix said...

u on twitter?

jelena said...

No, but I should be right? I'm finding it hard to keep up:)

mallix said...

Erm - ya, well that's a conversation worth having, right? hehe. Yes. You should be.

Mbini said...

Great looking. Wouldn't mind owning it. I just love old houses.

And I loved your house on Elle...

Happy belated birthday. 30 is a baby. And I am looking forward to the beginning of my life at 40.

Mbini

dereks said...

Love your blog and took interiors of Athol House still want o buy it? - look at the URBEX flickr site - Also did an URBEX post on my blog yesterday;

http://mrbaggins1.livejournal.com/52126.html

jelena said...

wow. thanks for doing some extra investigating mr baggins. restoring it would be a huge luxury of course but i would love to do it.

Thando said...

what a lovely house...way better than the one I have been looking at since 2007, out here in Pretoria...lol...Coincidentally today, I eventually had the guts to ask who it belonged to? and I found out it belongs to the govt...my next question is, where and how does one approach the govt when wanting their abandoned house?